Part band incubator, part muso/singer/band-matching social club, the Club’s goal is to help and support people into playing live music.
Band Selection Guidelines for
SA Live Music Club Gigs
- Calls for Registrations to play at SA Live Music Club gigs are published on the Club’s website and emailed to Members. Registration is an expression of interest or application only. No band is confirmed to play at any gig until notified by a Member of the Events Management Unit (EMU).
- Registrations are accepted up to the specified closing date. After the closing date, EMU collates, records and reviews registrations.
- To be eligible for consideration for a gig, a band must comply with SA Live Music Club requirements that:
- All band Members are paid-up full Members before registration of the band for the proposed gig and each Membership is valid up to and including the date of the proposed gig.
- Any band registration can only be considered received when all band Members are paid-up full Members.
- In the selection process for a Promoter-sponsored event, the Promoter, in consultation with the EMU, will give preference to bands that have performed at least once at any Club gig over the period of the 10 previous Club events before the date of the proposed gig.
- A band that does not comply with any of the above criteria is not eligible to play at a SA Live Music Club gig and its registration is withdrawn from further consideration.
- If the number of eligible band registrations for a gig is less than or equal to the number of available band slots, then those bands will be selected for that gig.
- If the number of eligible registrations is greater than the number of available band slots, EMU will apply the following selection process in order to ensure that all bands have equitable opportunities to perform over time:
- Registrations will be ranked in order of which band played when. The band that played longest ago is listed first at the top as no 1, and the remaining bands in chronological order to the band that played most recently listed last at the bottom.
- Available slots will be offered to bands in that rank order until all slots are filled.
- If two bands last played on the same date (i.e. they are ranked equally in the list) then EMU will use a count-back method to decide which band takes precedence; EMU will count how many times each of those bands has played at Club gigs over previous months and give preference to the one that has played the fewest times.
(click here for recent gigs to illustrate how this works in practice.)
- In the event that there are insufficient eligible registrations to fill all available band slots at an event, EMU is authorised to invite eligible Club bands to fill such slots or to invite eligible Club Members to form a one-off band for that purpose in order to meet the Club’s commitments and the Promoter ’s and venue’s requirements and expectations.
- Any casual vacant slots created by the subsequent withdrawal of a selected band before the gig will be offered firstly to any remaining registrations in the ranked list as provided for in item 6.1 and then as provided for in item 6.4.
- EMU will use its best endeavours to accommodate any special requirements stated in a band’s Registration, such as preferred time slot, within the constraints of the event’s and Promoter’s requirements.
Events Management Unit
Updated January 2021
Special Arrangements for Promoter Sponsored Events
From time to time at certain specific events, the Promoters choose the bands they wish to perform at their event, not the Club or EMU.
At those gigs, the SA Live Music Club’s role is to facilitate registrations and assist with the event programming, as follows:
- EMU calls for and collects registrations for the event and forwards eligible registrations to the Promoter.
- The Promoter makes band selections at its discretion.
- The Promoter consults with EMU on the programming of the selected bands.
An event where the Promoter makes the choice of bands will be clearly identified as such in the call for registrations.